6/11/07

Minnesota Modernism: Marcel Breuer and the Saint John's Campus, Collegeville

As a self-professed traditionalist, I must admit that I was not thrilled about the prospect of spending a Saturday going off to explore Breuer's mid-century Modern church and the campus at the Saint John's University in Collegeville, MN. In my defense my only real interaction with modern architecture (and brutal at that) hails from my college days. As an exchange student at the University of St. Andrews (no, I don't play golf!) I was assigned to the Andrew Melville Hall designed by James Stirling. I lived in Andrew Melville for 9 months and it was brutal! Apparently the hall was designed with the notion of two ships passing, however, the way the students use to tell it was that the design was based on two ships colliding with each other. (See the photo at the right - they do look like they are colliding, yes?!) During my stint living in Andrew Melville is when I came to the conclusion that I am a traditionalist. Scottish winters can do that to you - cold and damp requires cozy and there was nothing cozy about our single rooms in Andrew Melville. But I digress - and you will see where I am going with this...

We had a glorious day to explore the Saint John's campus. After an hour's drive north through the Minnesota countryside we arrived at the Saint John's campus and were met on the front steps to the Abbey Church by Brother David Klingemann, the Abbey Archivist. Victoria Young, Professor at the University of St. Thomas in Saint Paul and Anthony Rubano, Project Designer with the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency have been working with our own Chris Morris, of the Trust's Midwest Office to put together a stellar program about Breuer's work at the campus.


We met on the stairs of the Abbey Church and from there the discussions began about how to lead the group through the campus to give the best "wow". This is hard to describe, as I was along for the ride and was the only one who hadn't been there before.

We began with the public areas of the monastery and then headed off to the undercroft of the Abbey Church. This is a glorious space, the use of concrete and it's contrast with the wood and granite used is quite spectacular. The way the concrete was cast created a pattern and texture that gives the concrete a curious warmth. You will see this throughout the Abbey Church. Then of course there are the stained glass windows, which I tried to capture here - but as with most things are best in person.


Admittedly my breath was taken away as we entered the sanctuary. Breuer was clearly a master and while I am not ready to admit that I am a convert, I can more readily embrace Brutalism and perhaps other Modern structures. I think in the end it is all about the experience. I don't think that I would feel the same way had I not had the opportunity to see Breuer's work, especially the Abbey Church, in person. This field session only re-confirms that we need to be proactive in saving structures from the recent past.

Attendees will have an opportunity to attend the noon service in the Abbey Church before heading to lunch in the Great Hall. During lunch Victoria will lead a discussion about the architecture and function of the Great Hall, the interior restoration and the interaction of the earlier church with the Abbey Church. The day promises to be very full with ample opportunity to do some exploring of the campus. So if you are on the fence about modernism or if you are nutty about modernism and the recent past - this is the session for you. Chris, Victoria and Anthony will be fabulous guides through the allure of mid-century Modernism and Marcel Breuer's masterpiece at Saint John's University.
~Charlotte

No comments:

 RSS

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

FeedBurner FeedCount